We could all use a little bit of a break right now, but what if you could feel a sense of peace and calm at least once every day? Even if you know why practices like meditation are good for you, it can be hard to know where to start. Here are some of our best tips to make meditation part of your daily life.
The Best Ways to Make Meditation Part of Your Daily Life
- Be Realistic: First, know that you don’t need to force yourself to sit in complete silence for hours at a time. Choose an amount of time that feels realistic to you, and remember that you can always increase or decrease the amount of time that you meditate daily in the future.
- Find a Consistent Time: When you first make meditation part of your daily life, it’s a good idea to meditate at a consistent time. If the morning works well for you, schedule your 15 minutes then. Do you prefer meditating after dinner? Try meditating for ten minutes every evening before you do the dishes.
- Track Your Progress: If you can continue your habit for a month, there’s a good chance it will be easily sustainable beyond that period. Track your progress in your planner or use an app to motivate yourself to continue.
- Choose a Quiet Spot: Trying to meditate in a busy part of your home while your children are running around is a recipe for disaster. Find a quiet place where you can make meditation part of your daily life, even if it means sneaking away to your bedroom for 5 minutes to sit and meditate.
- Focus on Your Breath: When you breathe in, think about following your breath through your nose, into your throat, into your lungs and into your stomach. Keep your posture straight and, when you release the breath, focus on slowly releasing it back into the air. When you are getting started meditating, use this focused breathing technique as a starting point.
- Try Mindfulness: If you are struggling to make meditation part of your daily life, start by trying to be more mindful when you do things. Take a walk around your neighborhood without your phone or music and pay attention to exactly what you see. How does the sun feel? What plants do you see? You can do the same when eating dinner or enjoying a cup of coffee. How does it taste? What is the texture? Mindfulness is a wonderful practice that goes hand in hand with meditation and there are also many useful apps that can help guide your mindfulness exercises.
Make Meditation Part of Your Daily Life With CBT Baltimore
If you are interested in seeking therapy in Baltimore, we’re here to help. Contact the CBT experts at CBT Baltimore at 443-470-9815. We would love to speak with you.